'1. Fear no opponent. Respect every opponent.
2. Remember, it's the perfection of the smallest details that make big things happen.
3. Keep in mind that hustle makes up for many a mistake.
4. Be more interested in character than reputation.
5. Be quick, but don't hurry.
6. understand that the harder you work, the more luck you will have.
7. Know that valid self-analysis is crucial for improvement.
8. Remember that there is no substitute for hard work and careful planning. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.'
John Wooden and Steve Jamison 'Wooden: a lifetime of observations and reflections on and off the court' McGraw-Hill 1997 page 72.
This book was nominated by former Brisbane Bronco coach Wayne Bennett as his favourite book.